Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Light (Strawberry) Cheesecake

Continuing with the strawberry theme, I decided to use my strawberries for a light cheesecake. I've never been a fan of cheesecakes; a few bites are okay, but trying to finish a big slice can be torturing sometimes. Some are just so thick and concentrated that even swallowing can be a problem for me. I know, i can always choose to not finish it... but seeing people throwing/wasting/not finishing their food is one of my biggest pet peeves. Which is why 95% of the time, i always finish my plate of food... not matter how full i am or how bad it is. The other 5% is left for foods that are inedible, burnt, expired, or anything with bananas. XD The only cheesecake I can tolerate in large amounts are probably the ones they sell in Taiwan. I'm talking about the oval shaped ones they sell in big supermarkets. It tastes more like a cake than an actual cheesecake... and that's probably why i like them. Waha. I was afraid my light cheesecake would fail and turn out to be too heavy so i baked them in little muffin cups. But turns out i worried for nothing... they came out just fine :D So i poured the remaining cake batter into a small cake mold and baked it. This online recipe is a keeper. The only tricky part would be beating the egg whites- make sure the eggs are at room temperature before you start anything!

Light (Strawberry) Cheesecake
from in chinese
(if you search their videos, you can see the video demonstration. Somehow the link doesnt appear on the site so i couldn't copy and paste)
  • 200g cream cheese
  • 110 mL milk
  • 4 egg yolks
  • 70mL butter
  • 3.5 tablespoons flour
  • 1.5 tablespoons corn starch
  • 5 egg whites
  • 130 mL sugar

  1. Add the cream cheese + milk together and heat it up in a double boiler, stirring constantly [picture 1].
  2. When the cream cheese has dissolved, add the butter and stir until smooth. Then add in the egg yolks and mix [picture 2, 3].
  3. Sift the flour and corn starch together and add into cream cheese mixture until thoroughly blended. Remove from heat [picture 2, 3].
  4. Beat egg whites with a electric mixer/whisk until it starts to bubble. Gradually add sugar, continuing to beat until it forms peaks [picture 4, 5].
  5. Pour the egg whites into the cream cheese mixture and fold until thoroughly blended [picture 6].
  6. Pour the cheesecake batter into a prepared mold [picture 7].
  7. Place your mold in a shallow pan of water, and bake until edges have pulled away [picture 8]. (45-60minutes for cake molds. 20-30 minutes for muffin pans.)
  8. Let the cake cool down and decorate with fresh strawberries and strawberry jam.

Light (Strawberry) Cheesecake


  1. hey angelica! what recipe did u use for the base of this cheesecake?
    thanks =)

  2. what did u use for the base? the cakey part