- 2 sheets of puff pastry
- 3/4 cups milk
- 1/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 egg
- Thaw the puff pastry sheets until no longer frozen.
- Poke holes on the puff pastry and place it on a baking pan/sheet.
- Place another baking pan/sheet on top of the pastry and bake for 15 minutes (Gas mark 6), or until golden brown. Remove pastry and let it cool.
- Make the pastry cream by placing the milk, half the sugar and the vanilla in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Combine the egg and the remaining sugar in a bowl and whisk until light in color. Add in the flour and mix well.
- When the milk just begins to boil, remove from heat.
- Very slowly half of the hot milk into the egg mixture, stirring all the time.
- When egg mixture is evenly mixed, pour it all back into the saucepan over medium heat.
- Using a spatula or a whisk, mix the pastry cream as it heats.
- Let it boil and keep stirring until it becomes thick.
- Evenly spread the cream over the puff pastry and stack it together.
- To decorate, use either icing or powdered sugar.
- Trim off the edges for better presentation.