Thanks to: http://beyondsalmon.blogspot.com/2006/03/technique-of-week-pie-and-tart-dough.html , I was able to make a perfect pie crust.
So what did i do differently this time?
- Chill EVERYTHING beforehand (flour, butter, water...etc)
- Use ICE cold water.
[ The reason why everything has to be kept cold is to keep the butter from melting. The small butter chunks will create layers with the flour which is what makes the pie flaky. ]
- Do not overwork the dough.
- Refridgerate the dough for at least 30 minutes before rolling it out.
- After you roll out the dough and placed it in your pan, refridgerate it for another 30 minutes.
- Bake pie crust for 20 minutes until golden brown.
- Poke holes onto the crust with a fork if it starts to puff up.
Here's the new and improved Pie Crust Recipe:
Flaky Pie Crust
makes one 8 inch pie crust
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 - 2 teaspoons of sugar
- 1/2 cup shortening, butter, or margrine. CHILLED
- 3 tablespoons ICE COLD water (preferably with ICE)
- Whisk the flour, salt. and sugar together in a medium size bowl.
- With a pastry blender, cut in the cold shortening/butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Drizzle 2 to 3 tablespoons ice water over flour. Toss mixture with a fork to moisten, adding more water a few drops at a time until the dough comes together.
- Gently gather dough particles together into a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap, and chill for at least 30 minutes before rolling.
- Roll out dough, and put in a pie plate. Fill with desired filling and bake.
This time i give my pie a 9 out of 10... just cuz there's always room for improvement :) .
Ahh, i wish strawberry season'll last forever.