Friday, February 26, 2016

Strawberry Frozen Yogurt Sorbet

Well, well, well. Look what I found sitting in my drafts page... a complete recipe that I never got around posting! 

I still remember that day when I bought a kilo of strawberries from a street vendor downtown and all these ideas of what to do with them were running through my head. I wish I had half of the creativity I had back then, 青春啊~~ Now I'm satisfied just by browsing through food blogs or skimming through a cookbook... absolutely have no urge to make it myself. 

I bought a Kitchenaid ice cream maker attachment 2 years ago and made coconut mango ice cream that ended up sitting in my freezer, untouched. That may be because I lost my sweet tooth, or maybe my metabolism slowed down and I can no longer eat without consequences. Whatever the case, I can't believe I spent 3 hours making this sorbet with a handheld mixer and won't even pick up my ice cream maker now because I'm just too.damn.lazy. Maybe when Nolan's old enough to appreciate my cooking/baking/churning then I'll finally get my motivation back. Looking forward to that day, BUT OMG PLEASE DON'T GROW UP AND BE MY BABY FOREVER.  OK BYE, LOVE, MOM. 


Strawberry Frozen Yogurt Sorbet
INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 pound (450g) strawberries, rinsed and hulled
  • 2/3 cup (130g) sugar
  • 2 teaspoons vodka or kirsch (optional)
  • 1 cup (240g) plain yogurt
  • 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
DIRECTIONS:
  1. Slice the strawberries into small pieces. Toss in a bowl with the sugar and vodka or kirsch (if using) until the sugar begins to dissolve [picture 1].
  2. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand at room temperature for 2 hours, stirring once in a while [picture 2].
  3. Transfer the strawberries and their juice to a blender or food processor. Add the yogurt and fresh lemon juice [picture 3]. Pulse the machine until the mixture is smooth. If you wish, press mixture through a mesh strainer to remove any seeds [picture 4].
  4. Chill mixture in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
  5. Place the chilled ice cream mixture in the freezer for 30 minutes.
  6. Beat ice cream mixture with an electric mixer until smooth (you can use a fork instead of an electric mixer, but the ice cream will be less smooth and creamy) [picture 5].
  7. Place ice cream in the freezer for another 40 minutes- then beat with an electric mixer again.
  8. Repeat "40 minute freeze-then-beat cycle" 3 times. This should total 2 1/2 hours of freezing [picture 6].
  9. You can choose to either beat your ice cream mixture every 40 minutes until frozen or let your ice cream mixture freeze on its own. Either method works fine. The more you beat it and the more air incoorporated, the softer it will be. Total freezing time can take anywhere between 3-5 hours.
Strawberry Frozen Yogurt Sorbet

No comments:

Post a Comment