Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Savory Cheese Flapjacks

The very first cookbook that i've owned since coming to POZ is a cute little one called "Cheaper than chips, better than toast" by Miranda Shearer. I received it as a Christmas gift from my aunt Lisa back in 2006, just right before i started taking interest in cooking/baking. But with the lack of pictures (yes, i'm really shallow and visual when it comes to reading), i left that book to age on my shelf and only recently rediscovered the wonders hidden inside. This cookbook consist of many simple British recipes designed for the average busy, money-clenching college student who still yearns for a nice home-cooked meal after a long day of classes. Sound much like me? hell ya! So here I am sharing a recipe for a little snack that I fell in love with-- Cheese Flapjacks!

I know, i know... I also had no idea what flapjacks were until i was enlightened by Wikipedia, "...a flapjack is a baked bar biscuit, cooked in an oven tin and cut into rectangles, made from rolled oats, fat (typically butter), brown sugar and usually Golden syrup or honey". But unlike the traditional sweet biscuit bars, these jacks are baked with cheese and accentuated with a tiny hint of rosemary-- simply delicious, i say. And if you think adding 50 grams of butter is a little too much, just use less or simply omit it since the cheese'll ooze out enough grease to oil your pan anyway. Sound forgiving enough? Your turn to try it!

Cheese Flapjacks
from Cheap as chips, better than toast by Miranda Shearer
makes 12 bars
INGREDIENTS:
  • 150 grams oatmeal (rolled oats) (about 1 1/4 cups)
  • 175 grams Cheddar cheese, grated (about 1 1/2 cups)
    [i used Edam cheese]
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 50 grams butter or margarine
  • 1/2 teaspoon crushed dried rosemary (optional)
  • 1/2 teaspoon of salt, or to taste
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper, or to taste
DIRECTIONS:
  1. Mix all the ingredients together well [picture 1].
  2. Press into a shallow baking pan (i used a 24cm round pan) [picture 2] and bake in a preheated oven at 180C/350C/Gas 4, for 40 minutes until golden brown [picture 3].
  3. Cut into slices and serve hot or cold.
Cheese Flapjacks

8 comments:

  1. interesting..
    its like the british version of rice krispies treat (overly too sweet for me)and a healthier version also :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @aisha: LOL, yes they are! both are cereal products made into bars!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For the longest time, I thought flapjacks were pancakes. In fact, the image of a pancake still pops into my head whenever I see the word!

    But wow, this looks really good, especially as a savoury version! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you have all the stepbystep photos! And perfectly clear ones at that! :) I've never had a flapjack before...

    And i have to agree with you on the shallow part, photos do have a certain effect on our tummies and minds don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, a baking book lack of pictures, I won't even look at it leave alone bake from it :-) so I guess I understood what you have been through with this gift book.

    Anyway, it turns out scrumptious! Well done..

    Sawadee from Bangkok,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhh!! Come visit me and buy tons of beautiful cookbooks here :)

    ok, maybe i'm just stupid, but I always thought that flapjacks were like pancakes. fail. these look so healthy though. i'll have to try making them sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made them. There are delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I must to say the cheese drives me crazy, I approach every time for eat cheese and I add in my recipes all the time. I read some days ago the cheese have many properties and vitamin. The most important thing is the potassium and calcium the cheese contain. I am sure that When i buying my house through costa rica homes for sale i will prepare a dinner for all my friends and I will add many cheese. That will be wonderful.

    ReplyDelete