Sunday, January 31, 2010

Beef Stroganoff

I'm sorry guys, I've been on a streak this month with updating but it might get a little slow in February. Why? I blame it on myself. You see, even though Christmas is over, that doesn't mean that SALES are too. I've caught on to the tail of the last discount weeks and somehow drained out the remaining funds in my checking account, hahaha. But just so you know, i'm not a shopaholic or anything... cuz #1, i didn't have much in that account to begin with and #2, i really don't like to shop. Wait, don't get me wrong, who doesn't like getting new clothes and shoes, right? But it's the process of shopping that I hate. Returning home empty-handed after a whole afternoon of window-shopping and skimming through hangers just isn't my thang. I only enjoy shopping when there's a specific thing i have in mind, and sometimes that means taking a few days going through a few malls before I finally find it. So you see, shopping is more like a biannual activity for me. But I guess these modest shopping habits are partly why the sudden emptying of my bank account came as such a shock. It was just supposed to be: errands--> quick lunch--> home--> done, BAM! I wasn't expecting to be spending any money on that woeful afternoon but it just sorta happened. So now with pockets short on cash, it's probably best that I catch an early start on the dieting plans that I've been thinking about since the return from my all-inclusive (food and drink) trip in Egypt.

So before i get into my penny-pinching mode, here's a recipe for an extravagant Beef Stroganoff. Okay fine, beef stroganoff isn't an extravagant dish... but since I never use red wine when i cook, it's definitely extravagant when i finally get a chance to do so (even with just a quarter cup)! See? i'm so easily satisfied, living on a budget shouldn't be a problem at all. Let's just hope the currency exchange rates gets better soon... i'm in desperate need of złotys!

Beef Stroganoff
from Fast Food
Serves 4
INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 1/4 pounds beef rib-eye or rump steaks
  • 1/2 cup seasoned all-purpose flour
    (season with 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper)
  • 3/4 pound fettuccine / tagliatelle / pasta of your choice
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1 onion, finely chopped
  • 3 3/4 cups button mushrooms, thickly sliced
  • 1 tablespoon tomato paste
  • 1/4 cup red wine
  • 1 1/4 cups whipping cream (i used 200 mL)
  • Salt and pepper to taste
DIRECTIONS:
  1. Cook the pasta in a large saucepan of rapidly boiling salted water until al dente [picture 1].
  2. Pound the slices of beef between 2 sheets of plastic wrap with a mallet or rolling pin until they are half their thickness. Cut each slice into strips, about 1/2 inch wide. Place in a pastic bag with the seasoned flour and shake to coat the beef [picture 2]. [Remember to coat it with flour just RIGHT before you pan-fry it, or else the meat will stick together if you leave it for too long].
  3. Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a frying pan over medium heat and cook the onion for 2 minutes [picture 3].
  4. Add the beef in batches and cook for 5 minutes or until evenly browned [picture 4]. Remove from the pan and keep warm.
  5. Heat the remaining butter in the pan and add the mushrooms, stirring, for 2 - 3 minutes or until soft and lightly browned [picture 5].
  6. Add the tomato paste and the red wine [picture 6, stirring continuously for 2 minutes or until the sauce has reduced [picture 7].
  7. Add the beef [picture 8], stir in the cream [picture 9], then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer gently for another minute or until the sauce has thickened.
  8. Serve warm with the pasta.
Beef Stroganoff

8 comments:

  1. its such a great idea to make posts about 'budget friendly foods'
    im a college student myself and i totally get your situation :)
    you should definitely post here the foods u make eventhough its penny pinching! that will definitely get me to cook more ;) besides the food is cheaper usually its simpler and easier to make as well right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. A well-made beef stroganoff is a beautiful thing! I think this is the first time I see it made with whipping cream, rather than sour cream, I wonder if it makes a big difference? At any rate, your pictures make it look very appetizing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Aisha: you're right. I'll try to look into some cheap and simple recipes in the next month. But i still night be a little slow with 2 big exams coming up. Keeps our fingers crossed! :D

    @Valerie: Now that you've mentioned, I realized that out of all the beef stroganoff recipes i've looked through, i just happened to pick the ONLY one with whipping cream, lol. They were a good replacement, i'd say. But now i just want to make it again with the original sour cream.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummm stroganoff's on the top of my comfort food list! And I love the stepbystep tutorials.

    Wallet friendly foods are definitely good too, especially because I'm in love with shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i just realized that u look like rainie. (is that how u spell her name?) she had a crush on ken on meteor garden ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think Beef stroganoff is a delicious dish, great solution for empty account :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Aisha: LOL, yes, i've been told by a lot of ppl that i look like her. We even have the same mole in the exact same place (right cheek). I'm glad mine is smaller though, hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The quality of a person's life depends on a commitment to succeed, whatever field he traveled.

    Tips Dan Cara Mencegah Jantung Lemah.

    Kelainan dan Gangguan Pada Sistem Saraf Manusia.

    ReplyDelete