Sausage & Pepper Calzone
from Keith Snow (youtube)
- Prepared pizza dough (see recipe here)
- Green peppers, chopped
- Red onions, chopped
- Button mushrooms, sliced
- Meat medley (sausages, ham, salami, chicken, ground meat... etc)
- Basil & Oregano (to taste)
- Mozzarella cheese, sliced
- Salt & pepper (to taste)
- 1 egg (for egg wash)
- Pizza dough instructions can be found here, click me! Separate the dough into 6 balls and let it rise for 1 hour [picture 1].
- While dough is rising, prepare all the ingredients and set aside [picture 2].
- Heat oil in a frying pan over medium-heat. Stir in onions, green peppers and mushrooms, saute for 2 minutes [picture 3].
- Stir in the sausages or anything uncooked (ham and salami can be left out). Season with basil, oregano, salt, and pepper [picture 4]. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Roll the dough out into an oval shape, and spoon the prepared filling (and any other topping) onto the dough. (place the mozzarella slices on top last) [pictures 5, 6].
- Fold the dough in half and seal the edges [picture 7].
- Place the calzones in a baking sheet and use a knife to make 3 slits on the calzone (helps steam escape). Brush the top with egg wash [picture 8].
- Bake at 190 degrees C for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve hot with Marinara sauce (recipe here).