Tuesday, December 09, 2008

JLo's Hybrid 油飯 (Fried Glutinous Rice)

I haven't updated in a while and there's a good explanation for that. I've been extreeeeemly busy spending 8-11 hours at the hospital everyday for the past few weeks. Though i still get some time for myself after school, cooking would be the last thing on my mind. I rather sit in front of my computer for 3 hours munching on stale bread than to leave my toasty room for a 15 step excursion to the kitchen. Mmmhmm... a 2 hour minimum (or more) of 混-ing is required to keep me sane. Sigh... COME, CHRISTMAS, COME! May Santa grant me a blow torch this year to set my schedule aflame. Sheeeesh. So anyways, after a month, I'm finally updating on JLo's 油飯. I was gonna make him write this entry instead but then I thought, 算了... I think I'll pass on having my boyfriend write about his Ex's mom, cuz that's where this recipe came from.... AWK-WARD. wa.ha.ha... 好吃就好, 好吃就好了嘛! I'm just glad he cooked for me :) and made something other than chicken and rice...

JLo's 油飯 Fried Glutinous Rice
INGREDIENTS:
  • 2 steamer cups glutinous rice (long grain)
  • 2 tablespoon sesame oil
  • 5 shiitake mushrooms, soaked and sliced
  • 1/2 cup fried shallots
  • 1 hand full dried shrimps, soaked.
  • 1-2 tablespoons rice wine [or as needed]
  • 1 cup Cha-Shao
  • 2-3 tablespoons [or as needed] Lee Kum Kee's seasoned soy sauce for seafood (蒸魚醬油)
  • 1-2 tablespoons XO sauce (optional)
  • 1.5 steamer cups water
DIRECTIONS:

  1. Soak the glutinous rice in water for 2 hours. Drain well and set aside. [picture 1]
  2. Heat a wok or frying pan and add 2 tablespoons of sesame oil.
  3. When the oil is hot, add in the mushrooms, shrimps, and dried shallots. Stir-fry until fragrant, adding rice wine when it gets too dry. [picture 2]
  4. Next, add the Cha-Shao, XO sauce, and soy sauce. Continue to stir-fry, adding rice wine if it gets too dry. [picture 3]
  5. Add in the glutinous rice and stir-fry briefly until the rice is coated in a light brown color, adding more soy sauce if needed. [picture 4, 5]
  6. Scoop everything into your steamer pot and add 1.5 steamer cups of water.
  7. Pour 2 steamer cups of water in the outer layer of your steamer. Cover and steam. [picture 6]
  8. If your rice is undercooked, don't worry! Just add more water to the rice and continue steaming.


JLo's Hybrid 油飯 (Fried Glutinous Rice)

No comments:

Post a Comment