JLo's 油飯 Fried Glutinous Rice
- 2 steamer cups glutinous rice (long grain)
- 2 tablespoon sesame oil
- 5 shiitake mushrooms, soaked and sliced
- 1/2 cup fried shallots
- 1 hand full dried shrimps, soaked.
- 1-2 tablespoons rice wine [or as needed]
- 1 cup Cha-Shao
- 2-3 tablespoons [or as needed] Lee Kum Kee's seasoned soy sauce for seafood (蒸魚醬油)
- 1-2 tablespoons XO sauce (optional)
- 1.5 steamer cups water
- Soak the glutinous rice in water for 2 hours. Drain well and set aside. [picture 1]
- Heat a wok or frying pan and add 2 tablespoons of sesame oil.
- When the oil is hot, add in the mushrooms, shrimps, and dried shallots. Stir-fry until fragrant, adding rice wine when it gets too dry. [picture 2]
- Next, add the Cha-Shao, XO sauce, and soy sauce. Continue to stir-fry, adding rice wine if it gets too dry. [picture 3]
- Add in the glutinous rice and stir-fry briefly until the rice is coated in a light brown color, adding more soy sauce if needed. [picture 4, 5]
- Scoop everything into your steamer pot and add 1.5 steamer cups of water.
- Pour 2 steamer cups of water in the outer layer of your steamer. Cover and steam. [picture 6]
- If your rice is undercooked, don't worry! Just add more water to the rice and continue steaming.