Steamed Pearl Balls
- 250g ground pork
- 200g shrimp (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or more, depending on your taste)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon potato starch
- 2 tablespoons spring onions, minced
- 3/4 cup glutinous rice (a.k.a sweet rice, sticky rice)
- white pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Soak the glutinous rice in water for at least 2 hours or over night.
- In a big bowl, combine the ground pork and 1/2 teaspoon of salt, toss it around.
- Add in the shrimp pieces (optional) and continue tossing.
- Mix in the sugar, potato starch, white pepper, spring onions, and sesame oil.
- Continue kneading and tossing until it's well mixed and elastic. Set aside.
- Drain the glutinous rice and add a pinch of salt and a dash of sesame oil, mix well.
- Shape the pork into little balls and roll them and cover them with glutinous rice.
- Place the meat balls 1/2-inch apart on a greased plate. Steam for 15-20 minutes.