German Potato Salad with Bacon-Vinegar Dressing and Dill
- 1 kilogram (2 1/4 lbs) potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 6 bacon slices, chopped (or 100 grams bacon bits)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar [or less, according to taste]
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons coarse-grained mustard
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
- Boil potatoes until tip of knife easily pierces center of slices [picture 1]. Transfer to large bowl. Cover with foil.
- Sauté bacon in large skillet over medium heat until brown, about 3 minutes [picture 2]. Using slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towels. Discard all but 2 1/2 tablespoons drippings.
- Heat drippings in skillet over medium heat. Add onion; sauté 2 minutes [picture 3]. Whisk in next 6 ingredients. Simmer until mixture is reduced to 2/3 cup, about 4 minutes [picture 4]. Remove from heat.
- Add potatoes to the skillet and toss to coat with dressing [picture 5]. Let stand for 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle with chopped bacon and fresh dill; toss. Season to taste with salt and pepper [picture 6, 7, 8].
- Transfer the potato salad to a serving platter. Serve warm.