from Martha Stewart
- 1 1/4 cups cake flour (not self-rising), sifted
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 vanilla bean, halved lengthwise, seeds scraped and reserved
[or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract]
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature, cut into pieces
- 3 large whole eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar [i used a little more than 1/2 cup]
- Coffee-Marsala Syrup [recipe below]
*or 1/2 cup Bailey's Irish Cream
- Mascarpone frosting [recipe below]
- Unsweetened cocoa powder, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line standard muffin tins with paper liners.
- Sift together cake flour, baking powder, and salt [picture 1]. Set aside.
- Heat milk and vanilla-bean podand seeds (or vanilla extract) in a small saucepan over medium heat just until bubbles appear around the edge. Remove from heat. Whisk in butter until melted, set aside and let stand 15 minutes [picture 2]. If using vanilla pods, Strain milk mixture through a fine sieve into a bowl, and discard vanilla-bean pod.
- With an electric mixer on medium speed, whisk together whole eggs, yolks, and sugar. Set mixing bowl over a pan of simmering water, and whisk by hand until sugar is dissolved and mixture is warm, about 6 minutes [picture 3]. Remove bowl from heat. With an electric mixer on high speed, whisk until mixture is fluffy, pale yellow, and thick enough to hold a ribbon on the surface for several seconds when whisk is lifted.
- Gently but thoroughly fold flour mixture into the egg mixture in three batches [picture 4].
- Stir 1/2 cup batter into the milk mixture to thicken, then fold milk mixture into the remaining batter until just combined [picture 5].
- Divide batter evenly among lined cups, filling each 3/4 full [picture 6].
- Bake, rotating tins halfway through, until centers are completely set and edges are light golden brown, about 20 minutes. Transfer tins to wire racks to cool completely before removing cupcakes.
- With a fork, poke holes all over the cupcakes so the syrup can be absorbed [picture 7].
- To finish, brush tops of cupcakes evenly with coffee-marsala syrup (or Bailey's); repeat until all syrup has been used [picture 8]. Allow cupcakes to absorb liquid 30 minutes.
- Dollop frosting onto cupcakes [picture 11]; refrigerate up to overnight in airtight containers.
- Dust generously with cocoa powder just before serving [picture 12].
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon fresh strong coffee (or espresso)
- 1 ounce (30 mL) marsala wine
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Stir coffee, marsala, and sugar together until dissolved. Let cool.
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 8 ounces (230 grams) mascarpone cheese, room temperature
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- With an electric mixer on medium speed, whisk heavy cream until stiff peaks form (be careful not to overbeat, or cream will be grainy).
- In another bowl, whisk together mascarpone and powdered sugar until smooth.
- Gently fold whipped cream into mascarpone mixture until completely incorporated. Use immediately.