- 1/2 small shallot (i used red onions)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 cup fresh basil (a handful)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 9 tablespoons pure olive oil (not extra virgin)
- A pinch of salt
- Black pepper to taste.
- Peel and coarsely chop the shallots (or onions) and garlic [picture 1].
- Add all ingredients into a jar and blend with an immersion blender until creamy (a blender could be used in the absence of an immersion blender) [picture 2, 3].
- Add more vinegar if the mixture is too thick.
- Pour vinaigrette into a container with a tight fitting lid and store in the refrigerator [picture 4].
- Serve vinaigrette over salad. This may also be used as a sauce over chicken, fish, or steamed vegetables.