derived from cupcakeblog.com and misscupcakeface.com
makes 12 cupcakes
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, melted
- 1/2 cup butter, at room temperature [i used 1/3 cup]
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar [i used white sugar]
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Chocolate Fudge Filling [recipe below]
- Marshmallow Frosting [recipe here]
- Combine 1 cup of graham cracker crumbs and 1/4 cup of melted butter [picture 1].
- Scoop a heaping tablespoon into each cupcake paper, pressing down to cover the bottom[picture 2]. Set aside.
- Beat 1/2 cup of butter on high speed until soft, about 30 seconds.
- Add in brown sugar. Beat on medium-high until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add eggs one at a time, beat for 30 seconds after each [picture 3]. Set aside.
- Mix together flour, graham cracker crumbs, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.
- Measure out milk and vanilla together in a separate bowl.
- Add about a fourth of the flour mixture to the butter/sugar mixture and beat to combine [picture 4].
- Add in about one third of the milk/vanilla mixture and beat until combined [picture 5].
- Repeat above, alternating between flour and milk, ending with flour mixture.
- Fill cupcake cups with cake batter (they should be 2/3 - 3/4 full) [picture 6].
- Place muffin tins on the middle rack of a preheated 350 degree oven. Bake for approximately 20-22 minutes, rotating pans halfway through. Cupcakes are done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove cupcakes and let it cool down for 20 - 30 minutes.
- After the cupcakes have cooled, use a knife and cut a hole into the cupcakes. Fill with chocolate fudge filling (see recipe below) [picture 7]. (you may put the top back on to prevent marshmallow frosting from seeping in)
- Top each filled cupcake with marshmallow frosting with a greased spatula [picture 8]. [if using homemade marshmallow frosting, remember to frost right after whipping for easy handling. ]
- Decorate with chocolate drizzles and graham cracker crumbs.
Chocolate Fudge Filling
- 150g semi-sweet chocolate, cut into pieces
- 1/2 tablespoon butter, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 teaspoons milk
- In a double boiler, mix all ingredients together until fully combined.
- Allow to cool.